We know that every decision we make today shapes the future. And we want to shape it for good. To do this, we promote environmental sustainability through four main pillars: carbon emissions, food waste, circular economy, and Great Lakes stewardship.
In 2022, we announced our goal to reduce operational Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions 50 percent by 2025 from a 2018 baseline. Since 2018, we have reduced our absolute carbon emissions by approximately 13 percent while continuing to expand operations.
- Activated virtual power purchase agreements (VPPAs) to support remote renewable energy projects and decrease Meijer emissions
- Launched pilot program with Freightliner Trucks to track cold-weather performance of first two all-electric semitrucks tested by a retailer outside of California
- Earned lowest corporate-wide refrigerant emissions rate among retailers in U.S. EPA GreenChill Program
As one of the largest grocery retailers in the Midwest, it’s no surprise that eliminating food waste is a top priority at Meijer. We have been working on solutions to reduce all types of food waste for years, and have set a goal to reduce food waste per store by 50 percent by 2030 from a 2018 baseline.
- Diverted more than 4.19 million pounds of potential food waste through customer Flashfood program
- Donated more than 11.3 million pounds of edible food to local food banks through partnership with Feeding America
Over many years, Meijer has been working to recycle or repurpose company waste — and keep it out of area landfills. We have set the goal to achieve 70 percent total waste diversion company-wide by 2025. In 2022, we showed strong progress, as we estimate that we diverted approximately 66 percent of company waste from the landfill.
- Collected more than 8 million pounds of plastic bags and film from Meijer operations, front-of-store collection bins, and community partners for reuse and recycling
- Captured more than 287 million pounds of corrugated cardboard across our facilities for reuse and recycling
Across work and play, everyone benefits from a thriving natural environment. Meijer is committed to supporting organizations that strive to protect clean water and land for the communities we serve.