Meijer Healthy Living Advisor Shares Tips for Vegetarian Athletes
Feb 13, 2015
As athletes from all corners of Michigan come together for the Meijer State Games of Michigan-Winter Games (SGOM) on Feb. 20-22, Meijer Healthy Living Advisor and Registered Dietitian Melissa Hehmann offers nutritional advice to help fuel athletes for competitions.
Featured on the Meijer SGOM Blog, Hehmann gives nutritional advice to vegetarian athletes – or athletes looking to replace meats – to ensure their nutritional needs are met when competing. Following are some of the meat alternatives Hehmann suggests:
- Beans and Lentils, which are packed with carbohydrates, protein and iron
- Nuts and Seeds, which contain protein and minerals, essential for strong bones and muscle contraction
- Tofu and Tempeh, which are a great source of calcium and protein
- Textured Vegetable Protein, which is a protein-rich alternative to ground meats
- Ancient Grains, which are high in fiber and antioxidants
Read more of Hehmann’s advice on the Meijer SGOM Blog.