Through the years, the Meijer Simply Give program has helped fill a void in the communities we serve – helping relieve hunger. As part of this commitment, and to assist our food pantry partners, Meijer developed Simply Cook.
Simply Cook is a nutritional resource that features food safety, meal planning tips and basic recipes using ingredients frequently found in food pantries. In 2014, Meijer distributed English and Spanish versions of Simply Cook to our food bank and pantry partners across the Midwest.
Responding to a need expressed by our food pantry partners for nutrition education resources, Meijer representatives, along with the help of our Healthy Living Advisors and registered dietitians, developed the 48-page cookbook to provide families with nutritional information, recipes for healthy meals and more:
- Nutrition education: Includes tips on reading food labels and how to fill your plate well using the MyPlate federal guideline.
- Meal planning tips and solutions:Provides easy tips such as using a calendar, making lists and how to make the best use of leftovers. The book also includes a two-week meal planner.
- Food myths: Reveals the truth about the most common food myths, including it’s too costly to eat healthy.
- Kitchen basics: Includes information on basic and affordable cooking tools like a food thermometer and a pan, as well as pantry staples like rice, pasta, and canned or dried beans that are easy to keep on hand.
- Food safety and storage tips: How to prevent food spoilage from bacteria and foodborne illnesses with proper food storage.
- Quick and easy recipes: Includes dozens of basic, healthy breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner recipes using ingredients frequently found on food pantry shelves, including potatoes, tuna, beans, and canned vegetables and chicken. The book also includes a month of quick, easy dinner menus, and how to transform leftovers into a new meal.
- Shopping lists: Compiles the ingredients used in the monthly dinner menu.