Recent Stories

Golf fan or not, volunteer finds Meijer LPGA Classic fun, exciting

Amy Huss was hooked after her first year volunteering at the Meijer LPGA Classic for Simply Give. In addition to raising money for a cause close to her heart, she loves the camaraderie of reconnecting with friends she made at the tournament through the years and the memories of being around the action of a professional golf tournament.

“Even if you're not a golf fan, just watching the pro golfers on such a beautiful course is amazing,” Amy said. “I'd never been out to Blythefield Country Club before this event started and it is such a gorgeous environment.”

She volunteers at the hospitality suites, staffing the corporate sponsorship tents clustered around the 18th hole. Her husband, Bill Corley, also volunteers his time, adding to the fun. The tournament staff breaks the volunteer hours into shifts, which provides flexibility to select what works best for their schedules.

Amy is one of more than 1,000 volunteers, who are essential to this summer event’s success. They fill roles on 20 different committees, including player services, standard bearers, scorers and transportation. For more information on volunteering or to register, please visit www.meijerLPGAclassic.com.

The 2022 Meijer LPGA Classic at Blythefield Country Club, set for June 16-19, 2022, will host a full field of 144 of the world’s best golfers for 72 holes of stroke play over four days of competition.

Proceeds from the tournament — and each of the week's festivities — benefit our Simply Give program, which restocks the shelves of food pantries across the Midwest. The previous past tournaments have generated more than $7.4 million.

Amy says she began volunteering at the invitation of Christina Fecher, who works on the Meijer Corporate Communications Team. The two friends help each other out with their volunteer projects.

“She enticed me into volunteering at the tournament in June and then, in July, she volunteers with me at the Stand Up for the Cure event,” said Amy, adding that the paddleboard fundraiser in Muskegon raises money to support those who’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer. A portion — 25 percent of the funds — is donated to the Van Andel Cancer Institute for Research with the other 75 percent helps with medical expenses for those fighting the disease.

“The LPGA event fits right within the focus of our community caring for others, coming together to raise money for those in need in our community and just bringing people together,” Amy said. “Folks keep coming back because it's a lot of fun and we're doing good work.”

sign up to receive the latest meijer community posts via email!