The second annual Meijer State Games of Michigan –Winter Games is right around the corner, and an estimated 2,000 athletes from throughout Michigan are expected to participate. In preparation for the festivities, Meijer Healthy Living Advisor and Registered Dietitian Melissa Hehmann was asked to share some nutritional advice.
Her first set of tips, featured on the Meijer SGOM Blog, focuses on the five things every athlete should eat regularly. Hehmann suggests these essential foods:
- Beans and Lentils, which are packed with carbohydrates and protein
- Yogurt and Kefir, which are fermented dairy foods that contain probiotics
- Eggs, which are a great source of protein and iron
- Fruits and Vegetables, which are staples of a healthy diet
- Salmon, which is high in Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Read more of Hehmann’s advice on the Meijer SGOM Blog.